Pages

Sunday, February 8, 2015

New Year, New Adventures!

2014 was filled with many adventures so we decided to keep the fun going by celebrating the New Year in a new country!

Brussels, Belgium
We decided on Brussels because we wanted a big celebration with firworks, people, bars, and the whole vibe! Plus, it is only three hours from us!

Shortly after arriving were eager to get some Belgian beer in our bellies so we walked the ten minutes to the city center and sat down at a bar outside and made our taste buds very happy!

Before our trip I got in contact with a friend of mine from college who currently lives in Brussels with her husband who plays professional basketball in the city. In fact, he played basketball at Utah and she was on the gymnastics team while I played soccer.  We of course met up with them that night to catch up and celebrate the New Year! We had some gyros for dinner and went to a few local bars where we drank belgian beer, popped champagne and danced the night away!






 Malaga, Spain
A few months ago my friend Dana told me that her and a bunch of wives had booked tickets to Malaga and that I should join. With little hesitation I booked it instantly for 50 euros round trip through RyanAir! The trip finally approached us at the end of January and it couldn't have come at a better time. The winters here in Germany are incredibly gloomy and cold so going to a beach in 65 degree weather sounded like heaven!

The night before our flight I stayed over at Dana's so that we could all pile into her car at 4am and drive to the Frankfurt Hahn airport. I was super impressed with flying RyanAir for my first time. They allow you to bring one free carryon within a certain weight and size. My GoLite backpack falls perfectly within that limit which is all I need for a weekend trip anyway! Check-in and security was a breeze and the staff on the plane were extremely friendly.

Our group consisted of nine wives all in need of a vacation, warm weather, wine and girl time! We found an incredible house through AirBNB that easily fit us all comfortably. It was located right on the beach with the view of downtown Malaga and of course the ocean. Wasting no time we jumped right into a bowl of Sangria and sat outside soaking in the sun.




Oh! In case you don't know where Malaga is... It is located on the southern coast of Spain touching the Mediterranean. In the distance and during the right time of day, you can see Morocco!


That night we all had bought tickets to a traditional flamenco show in downtown Malaga. The family band included a flute player, a drummer, a guitarist and a singer along with a dancing lady in a pretty dress. It was breathtaking and we all had a blast!

The beauty of this trip was that everyone got to do whatever they wanted. Some people did a workout on the beach while some people (me) sat on the back patio and watched them. Some girls did a tapas tour, a bike tour, and even a tour of the lounge chairs next to the pool. By the end of the trip we were all secretly planning how to get stuck in Spain and not return back to snowy cold Germany.


For every new city or town I visit, I want to see 100 more. My travel bug is itching even more than it did last year so I am excited for 2015 travels! Taylor and I already have some adventures up our sleeves for the next few months!


No comments:

Post a Comment